Thursday 30 August 2012

What I've been doing other than writing here...




Now that all the paperwork is FINALLY done, I can tell you that we bought a house.  

Crazy grown-up shit, right?!  We can't really believe it either, except when we look at our bank account.  Then it becomes real as a punch in the face.  And that is what it felt like sometimes as well.  Ugh.  

Because we like to cram big events together into the most inopportune times*, we decided to buy a house in an Olympic borough, during preparations for the Olympics.  Needless to say, it took a bit longer than expected as no-one in the city was at their desk or if they were they were too busy watching the action to file some paperwork for little 'ole us.  

But it's done now and in a few weeks we will be settling into our third home together, but this time it is well and truly ours.  No crazy landlords refusing to fix burst pipes.  Now we will have sole responsibility for said burst pipes.  FABULOUS!!

But seriously, we are excited to have a space of our own to do with as we wish (with council approval, of course).  There are a few choice decor items that I know you are dying to see, for instance the bathroom wallpapered in imitation cork with beautiful, truly vintage, avocado bath, sink and toilet.  But that will have to wait for a bit.  


Meanwhile, while we *patiently* waited for paperwork, etc. we poured all our energy into nurturing another baby. 


GOTCHA!!!  Meet our little babies.  Tomas and Tommy.  We love them.  

We picked these guys up as seedlings.  During one of our walks through the 'new' neighborhood, we noticed someone had put out some tomato seedlings that needed new homes.  we scooped up two and they lived in the shower for two weeks before moving to their new home.  We have urged bees to visit and actively removed snails and slugs.  They are flourishing with our attention and we think they make a great addition to the family.  




I've also been sewing like a madwoman.  Last week I spent two days creating havoc in the living room as I burned through the t-shirt quilt.  An eight-hour run followed by a twelve-hour run have left me with almost complete quilt top and bottom.  You can read about the process over at Squaring Up.  




So that's me.  Not as exciting as you hoped, I know, but not everyday can be spent in the medina or recording petulant baking and laundry woes.  

What have you been up to these last few weeks?  






*see completing my PhD, international wedding and job change in June of 2010.

3 comments:

  1. !!!!

    Congratulations, what great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that t-shirt quilt is SO RAD. I love the colors! I could never, ever, EVER do that myself. So amazed.

    OH, and congrats on the house! God, I can't imagine what dealing with the Olympics must have been like. I would have hidden indoors for a month.

    I'm also super impressed with your tomato plants. We got some seedlings three months ago and made our first foray into home gardening, too. It's been quite a learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    A HOUSE?!
    AND tomato plants? with tomatoes growing on them?! So great.

    Seriously, all of those things are on my list of ambitions in life.

    And isn't it weird how grown up the whole 'home ownership' thing feels. Married with kid here and the mortgage approval meeting we just had made me feel like a sweaty teenager.

    ReplyDelete