Friday 19 August 2011

A blender, umbrella & ukulele walk into a bar...


It’s Friday!  Welcome to ‘The Chronicles of a Reluctant Housewife’ where I document my love/hate relationship with my current occupation.

I was going to thrill you with stories of my blender.
Then I realized the story boils down to this:  about every third time I use the blender I end up with pureed vegetables in my hair.  That’s the story.  I continually ‘forget’ that the cover is, in fact, necessary for use.  
So there it is, I still have trouble properly using a blender.  I will also admit that every time I get it down I have a fleeting thought about it being a scary gadget.  One time, it literally shot sparks at me.  I don’t know that was my fault, but it could have sensed my fear.  Like dogs. 
But this story does not a post make.

Then I thought I could tell you about how I reverted into my middle school self when Pete spritzed me with a wet umbrella after dinner.  But again, that’s just embarrassing.  You don’t really need to know that I am a baby when it comes to funny, minor pranks and put the kibosh on the silliness, which I usually advocate.  
Again, this does not a post make.

Then I noticed the Ukulele on our rug.  Yes, we are now the owners of a Ukulele.  We have wanted one for awhile now and on Wednesday I passed a music shop with Ukuleles in the window and decided to leap.  Why not?  So there it is.  On the rug, in its box.  We are not aiming to be professionals, but we thought it would be fun to learn to pick a tune.  Then I looked over the accompanying chord manual and all those Band Geek memories came flooding back.  Unfortunately, the ability to read the music did not come back as readily.  So we will be taking turns trying to learn Ukulele.  It may turn into a kind of competition.  That’s healthy, yes? 
This half story, all rising action and no climax or resolution, does not a post make.

Then I remembered we got good news yesterday.  We are officially welcome in the United Kingdom for another two years and two months.  Better than that, this also means we can officially start planning our holiday for next month.  YYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!  We have decided on Morocco.  We have wanted to go for years, actual years, and kept going with another destination.  Not this time, it is time we experience Morocco.  We are going to do a mini-expedition and finish up with a few days in a ‘fancy’ hotel.  We have not ‘expedition-ed’ since we met in Africa.  We are excited.  I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but Pete and I are our best version of ourselves when we travel.  The best versions individually and as a team.  Is this because we met while travelling?  Maybe.  I feel like you really know a person based on how they travel.  Perhaps I am justifying our relationship since instead of dating or dinner or work, we got to know each other over African camp-fires, tent building, limited bathing, lots of drinking (followed by puking) and long truck drives.  Anyway…….what I’m trying to say is that we travel well.  However, we lounge on the couch, clean the flat and make dinner well, too.  A good combo, if I do say so myself.  (We are still working on the minor, silly pranks and musical competitions.  There have to be some waves or it just gets boring, right?)

Hey, look at that.   Together, a post they do make. 

2 comments:

  1. Morocco! That's my next trip, I think. We are doing expedition/trek followed by fancy hotel in Peru in September, I think it'll be a good balance.

    Have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's super exciting. I love me some expeditions. Himself and I are going to South America for a couple of months (a few months? Who knows) in January. We're really, really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete