Friday 22 April 2011

Drunk Cleaning


It's Friday!!!  Welcome to ‘The Chronicles of a Reluctant Housewife’ where I document my love/hate relationship with my current occupation.

It’s 11am on Good Friday and we have already had our first Rocker (Pocker, Chocker….) from the Kingdom Hall.  It was perfect timing for to test my approach yet again.  I had just stepped out of the shower.  I was ready to answer the door in my robe and wet hair ensemble, but Pete closed the bathroom door (it has a direct view of the front door) and went to face the unknown. 
10 minutes later, my hair was dry and I was about to start applying make-up when Pete finally reappeared at the bathroom door.  He got sucked in.  Apparently passers-by were giving him sympathetic head shakes.  You know they immediately scurried home and closed the blinds.  We were the early warning system for them. 

Last night we went out for some drinks with Pete’s old workmates.  It was nice to see the guys (and girl) and to catch up.  I enjoy playing the proud housewife when we meet up with these guys.  It makes Pete look even better if his wife is able to stay at home and we can still go on a two week cruise to the Caribbean.  I should say that the performance is really only for the managers that give Pete grief for leaving and made his leaving more difficult than it had to be. 
But here’s the real housewife story.  When we got home, I sent Pete to the toilet to pre-emptively puke and while I was waiting for him to finish, I decided it would be a good time to put away the clean dishes in the drain and straighten up the kitchen a bit before I started heating up leftovers and homemade scones for Pete’s belly.  Either I am a great mulit-tasker, or I have truly tapped in to my inner homemaker.  Who thinks that 1am on a Thursday is a great time to start cleaning? Especially when you’re already a little tipsy and your husband is puking in the next room?
Turns out I didn’t actually do that great of a job.  The dishes got put away in basically the right places, but I managed to cover every horizontal surface in the kitchen with unidentified crumbs.  Drunk cleaning.  It’s the new housewife craze. 

Not much of a shocker for you really, but it’s the best I have for today.  It’s the start of a four-day weekend and it is going to be sunny and 78 all four days.  Weather like this, on a Bank Holiday no less, is unheard of in London (and probably the UK in general).  We live in the most beautiful and green part of London and our back deck is calling.  You’ll forgive me if I don’t get back to you for a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment