Friday 4 March 2011

Newsletter Update


Welcome to ‘The Chronicles of a Reluctant Housewife’ where I document my love/hate relationship with my current occupation.

Ohio Wesleyan University, Geography and Geology Department:
“It’s that time of year again to drop us a few lines about yourselves for the Newsletter.”

Ariel Terranova-Webb,  Class of 2001 
(Dr. Ariel Terranova-Webb;  Mrs. Erceg;  Dr. Boojie)

Last year I wrote to you about my impending Doctoral thesis defence and international wedding.  Today I write to you about the aftermath.  I am currently a professional free-lance geographer.  Professional in the sense that I hold the highest possible degree in my field and view the world as a Geographer, always interested in how we engage with the world around us, not in the sense that I am paid to do so.  Increasingly, it is looking less and less likely that I will be paid to do so while we stay in London.  I am also a reluctant (less so these days) housewife in a small flat where time begins.  I spend my days writing and home-making in the shadow of the Royal Observatory, the home of Greenwich Mean Time.  (Although, if the current government has its way, we will never be on Greenwich Mean Time again.)  Sometimes it is geographic writing, more often it is not.  Soon it will be more often.  I am working on a book proposal to turn my doctoral field work with Kelly Miller Circus into a book that will appeal to academics and fans alike. 
Under Fusch’s advice, I still use my profession as an excuse to travel frequently.  Currently I am in the Caribbean.  Later in the year we hope to cross off the European cities on our travel list.  Perhaps a quick trip to Morocco, or a longer one to Thailand.  The year is long, the world is wide.

5 comments:

  1. Professional Free-lance Geographer.... that certainly tells it all!

    i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. replica bags online uae get more y9h34p8e42 replica bags wholesale zeal replica bags reviews fake hermes u2e88a9g27 replica bags 168 mall replica bags south africa replica gucci handbags m4q73n1p94 replica prada nylon bags

    ReplyDelete