Friday 18 March 2011

Burgers of the World (Unite!)


Welcome to ‘The Chronicles of a Reluctant Housewife’ where I document my love/hate relationship with my current occupation.

I know it is an easy out to keep posting recipes and that it paints the stereotypical picture of a housewife but what can I say?  I was working on a deeper meditation on the role of spouses to inspire, but I’m not feeling very inspired, so another recipe it is. 


Burgers used to be fairly heavy in our dinner rotation.  Now that I am on Weight Watchers, burgers are reserved for when we are out and about.  A little treat. 
We discovered this version last summer.  It was part of a series of ‘World Burgers’ (hence the country specific name) in my beginner-foodie magazine.  How could we not partake?  We tried The Spanish, The Italian, The Mexican and The Moroccan, skipped The Indian.  

This is our favourite. 

After The All-American, of course.  Nothing beats the original. 
Pete would probably argue for the ‘Kiwi Burger’ with its beet and fried egg. 




No words.




With that, I give you the….


The Vietnamese Burger

For the pattie:
500g turkey mince (extra lean if you can get it)
Some breadcrumbs
An egg, slightly beaten
Lime zest
1tsp grated ginger
2 Tbsp shredded coriander leaves (or 1 tsp powdered)

Garnish:
Crème fraiche
Sweet chilli sauce
Cucumber slices
Carrot ribbons


Make your four patties (go on and get your hands in there and mix it up) and let them chill a bit before you cook them.  Split your rolls or buns and put them in the oven on a low heat (I’m assuming you are doing this indoors.  If not line them up on the grill away from the heat). 

Slap those burgers on the grill!  Or in the frying pan.  Cook for about 6 minutes on each side. 

When ready, spread a little crème fraiche and sweet chilli on the bun.  Add the pattie and veggies. 


We like to serve these with slightly steamed sugar snap peas.  They are kind of a replacement for fries.  I can’t believe I just wrote that.  I can’t believe I am that person!!!   So it goes.
I love me some fries, but this meal calls for non-deep-fries (oops!) fried vegetables. 

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment