Thursday 28 October 2010

Green Monsters, Ghosts, and the Living Dead.

For the past month I have been fighting a ‘sorta’ cold.  Sorta because I wasn’t sure if it was just really bad allergies or the obligatory seasonal change cold.  In the last few days I have had enough.  I can’t remember the last time I slept through the night and/or didn’t wake up with that disgusting crust around the eyes and film in the mouth from the gaping fish breathing all night. 
So for the last few days I have broken out the good allergy drugs to eliminate those symptoms.  These are the ones my mom smuggles over from the states in packages of mail and newspaper clippings from home.  I don’t know why, but the UK can’t seem to make a good allergy medicine (or cold or sleeping pill, but they do over emergency contraception over the counter so I can’t complain too much).  So for two days I have been taking Claritin-D which always makes my allergies disappear.  But I am still feeling crap and sneezing every two minutes on average and still gulping air through my mouth.  I’m also shovelling food into my mouth in a constant attempt to settle the yucky cold stomach.  Needless to say I haven’t been to the gym in ages.  I am full-blown sick.  Yucky throat, constant sneezing (and the mountain of tissues that goes with), body aches, and now a chest-rattling cough producing what we call ‘green monsters’.  I feel like death warmed over. 
What does this have to do with Halloween you ask?  I remember being sick on many trick-or-treat nights and refusing to stay in.  Which meant I was trick-or-treating as a ghost.  This allows for numerous layers in order to keep warm.  It was always a disappointment.  Although it shouldn’t be, as most trick-or-treat nights required numerous layers and costume alterations.  The year I remember most distinctly was the year I had an awesome genie costume.  Sewn by my mother and not made for late October in Northeast Ohio.  So instead I trick-or-treated as some type of zombie-esque creature with black cape (hiding the obligatory layers) and a make-up job that meant my friends didn’t even recognize me when I showed up at their house.  This was one of the last years I went trick-or-treating.  To be honest, I was probably a bit too old to still be going around, but at least I dressed up and made an effort. 
As I lay here watching daytime television and Halloween-themed episodes repeated, I was thinking that I haven’t really put much effort into Halloween this year.  The monster pumpkins are still just sitting on the table.  I haven’t had the energy and neither has Pete since he’s taking care of me when he gets home.  No costume (nowhere to wear a costume, so that isn’t too bad).  This used to be one of the biggest decisions of my life each year.  I decided on it at least two months in advance so that I had time to find the pieces or we could make it.  It was a huge deal.  And then it was always ruined by Halloween weather.  Somehow I always forgot about the rain and cold and ended up as a ghost (or the last year, a zombie-esque something). 
This year I feel like the living dead.  Perfect for the cold, and probably rainy, Halloween night coming up.    

No comments:

Post a Comment